Friday, April 5, 2013

Welcome to Shades of Light & Design's


I come from a long line of women who were skilled in many genres.   One of which is hand sewing. My grandmother, who was a seamstress, taught me how to handle a needle and thread.   I spent many hours with her as she taught me the art of hand sewing.  All the time I spent with her I cannot remember finishing one project.  Mainly because when I thought I did a good job she would tell me… “Take it apart and start over.”

As a young child it was frustrating.  However as an adult those words have served me well.  When my work is not up to the high standard of my grandmother, I hear those words…“Take it apart and start over.”

About 6 years ago I was in search of a specific lampshade for my mother.   I couldn't find anything that made me happy.   I decided there had to be a way for me to make a shade.  After a great deal of researching, I found the tools I needed, instinctively I picked up the needle and thread and figured out how to make my own creations.

My childhood frustration returned as I heard…“Take it apart and start over.”  I struggled to get it right but with determination and my grandmother’s voice everything came together.  

I am happy to carry on my grandmother tradition of hand sewing in my lampshade designs and many other items I have created for people and their homes.

Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment